Friday 3 September 2010

Apologies for the late MS update.

I really need to apologise. It's been too long since I last posted anything, and truth be told, there has been too much going on and I wasn't quite sure how much to commit to the very public internet!
I posted quite a lot about the problem I had with my legs and the lower half of my body in general. That is a lot better, but some of the numbness and other physical effects remain. Just when I was getting back to work in May I developed tingling in my right hand. This got worse until I had a partial numbness and stiffness which has been with me now for about four months. This has stopped me working in dental clinics and teaching the students at Glasgow Dental School as I can't hold the dental handpiece (drill) safely as I might drop it. I have been attending work and doing a desk job for the last few months. My employers are very aware of the situation and I know that unless there is dramatic improvement soon then my future in dentistry is in serious doubt. This is very sad for me, as I've always loved my job and considered it a privilege to work with patients and then latterly young people entering the profession currently in their undergraduate years. I've been somewhat reticent about posting information about my hand problems as I'm aware of the serious implications for me if this continues. I'll post quite soon with an update on this.

2 comments:

  1. Paul I've been up at the dental hospital a lot recently for myself. At my last visit in May I mentioned to the final year students pulling out the tooth that I knew you and they spoke about how much they enjoyed your teaching - oh and they were really good at getting my tooth out although it took two hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good news! I'm very fond of the students too! I'll miss them a lot when I have to say goodbye due to MS. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete