Sunday, 13 December 2009

Carnoustie 2

This will make more sense if you read the previous entry first (the one immediately below this one).

Carnoustie 2

So, the high jinx continued with lots of 'carry-on' and lots of laughter. We all enjoyed it. Here are a couple of pictures of Matthew showing off how strong he is. I hope he didn't damage his back in the process! Luckily, I'm a bit of a light-weight (as you all know), so there was no risk of him injuring himself lifting me! I forgot to mention that we had a balcony too. It overlooked one of the holes on the Carnoustie golf course, but, being a heathen as far as that particular sport is concerned, I've no idea which one.

Christmas Dinner

Last year, before Matthew left for Iraq, we had our Christmas dinner. Yes, in November! We all love Christmas, and we miss Matthew terribly when he is away, especially at that time of year. So, we brought it forward. It dawned on us that Linda and Andy (Susie's sister and her husband) would be down in this part of the world on the Saturday before Matthew left for service overseas; so, with excitement, Susie phoned Linda and suggested we all have Christmas dinner together. I think there were tears on the phone! "Yes!" was the reply to the invitation. So, the table was set and crackers were provided (by Linda and Andy) and presents were put under the tree which was hastily put up, and we were ready! Matthew had stayed away at friends the previous night and only just arrived in time! But, we had a fun time.
After the starter and main course, Susie had made one of her legendary cheesecakes, which was awaited with anticipation and eaten with great respect. It was lovely. I think it is safe to say that all of us enjoyed ourselves and it made an occasion out of, not only Christmas, but provided  a good send-off meal for Matthew as he travelled to a far distant country which is in terrible turmoil. God be with you, son.
Saying goodbye to Matthew was not a parting I was looking forward to. But, I must honestly tell you that I believe a miracle took place in this regard. There was so much prayer for him and for us as a family around this time that when it came to the parting it was impossible to be upset. I mean that. Susie said goodbye at the house and I drove him to the airport at six o'clock in the morning. When we got to the airport, it was as if a cushion was around us. I found it impossible to be sad. We said our goodbyes and he was off. Just like that. Thanks to all who supported us in prayer. Now, we trust in God and pray for the next six months for his safe-keeping and safe return. I look forward to the end of May 2010!


  1. have come back here to say "Praise Him" for the miracle re Matthew's leavetaking.
    I'll not forget a similar one for us once when we truly were 'carried' in a time of expected sorrow, surrounded by prayer.
    And just this past month on the day when a dear younger friend was considered by the medics. to be beyond all hope, he was given back to his family. "God IS working His purposes out" .

  2. Well that is some story, what with the swimming and the arm wrestling and Christmas and all!! It was all worth waiting for.