Sunday 15 March 2009

Nan, medication and birthdays.


Today would have been my mother's birthday! I think if she was still living in this world, she would be, let's see..about 87 today! I'm not sure exactly when she was born, 1922, I think. (I searched Scottish records online and think she was born in 1925,which would make her 84).
She died in 1967 in her early 40s from cancer. That's 42 years ago this year. Oh my.

Susan Sharkey (nee Reilly) in the 1940s.
Also, it was my birthday on Monday (9th March). I was working, but in the evening Susie had invited a few friends from Cumbernauld round and made a huge pot of spaghetti bolognese!
We had a great night of laughter, funny stories and memories and some serious conversation too. I got so many cards and a helium balloon saying "Birthday wishes" on it - we've still got to play with the helium and do funny voices! Thanks to all for birthday greetings and your kindnesses.

Medication: I've been taking a neuropathic painkiller for more than six months now. It's great, and it does the job. However, if I've got to increase the doze because of increased pain, it not only takes the pain away, but almost puts me away too. So, I heard of a different drug - the next generation to the drug I'm on just now and asked if I could be changed to that.
The docs said 'yes', but I was told in no uncertain terms that I would have to reduce the first medication before changing to the second. So, this week was changeover week. It's been difficult. The one consequence of reducing painkillers is (obviously!!) that the pain gets worse. And it has. So, I did my best to come off the other medication, and started the new drug on Friday evening. Now I feel totally spaced out!

I hope the side effects pass, because I'm not sure I can function the way I feel at the moment.
Watch this space!

Nan.
Nan is a dear friend. We used to be neighbours, then we moved, her husband died and she fell and broke her wrist and became generally in need of regular attendance. In step Susie.
Susie has gone to Nan's every day for several years now, except on a Saturday. Through Nan's good days and when she's been hospitalised, etc. When we're able, we try to visit her as a family after the Sunday morning service in Church - and she always makes a large pot of soup for us coming. My
 son has phoned her a couple of times from Iraq. That shows how special she is to all of us. Well, she's shaky on her feet and she fell today. So, another visit to A and E. Susie wasn't there this time, so a neighbour called an ambulance. She is due home about now and Susie has gone over to help settle her back into the house and attend to her needs.

Susie, you need about three bodies and at least an eight-day week to deal with all your cares and responsibilities!

6 comments:

  1. Aw poor Nan. Get well soon, Nan.

    Paul, I hope this new medication works well and you feel better soon.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday Paul!!!

    I hope that you soon feel the benefit of your new medication...changeovers are challenging, to say the least.

    I am glad to be back in touch with your lovely wife, and appreciate your honesty as you document your journey during this season.

    With every good wish,
    Lorna (Reid)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear from you, Lorna. I hope all is well with you and the family. (I also hope you can read this - I don't know how these postings actually work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. everyone can see it who signs in

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul,
    Just found your blog, great idea :-)Looking forward to hearing about what you've been up to.
    And a very happy belated birthday as well!
    Leah :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leah,

    Glad you found me!
    I hope this makes interesting reading.
    You can let me know what you think!

    Best wishes,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete